Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy September!

I am back in San Pedro Sula for a couple of days after spending a week and a half studying Spanish and then a weekend participating in an MCC Honduras team retreat. The most recent plan was for me to go to La Campa tomorrow to settle in with my host family, and then to start work! Well, plans have changed again! As I understand it, the people at CASM La Campa are in the midst of trying to meet some paperwork deadlines. My arrival would not make that paperwork go any faster, and I would probably just get in people's way as I try to figure out what to do.

So I will still head off to La Campa tomorrow with one of the country reps and the connecting people's coordinator. I'll get to meet my colleagues, and they can meet me. Maybe I'll meet my host family? Then next week, I will likely go back to Copan Ruinas for more language study. One thing that I am learning here is that I can expect that whatever I expect to happen will happen in a way I didn't expect!

Here is a small selection of photos for you:

This is a 200-300 year old ceiba tree at the Mayan ruins near Copan Ruinas. I feel so short!

















Noel, Johanna and Elise overlooking the Copan valley.













Four of the five yearlings!













A bridge that was washed out in Hurricane Mitch. I was on the new bridge downstream.












The garden of my host family in Copan Ruinas.


















MCC doesn't only help people! Chickens also benefit!

Roosters, however, are the bane of my existence. Whoever started the myth that they only crow at dawn never had to live with three of them in the courtyard. These roosters start their conversations between 2-4am. They calmly discuss the state of affairs, and then hear the neighbouring roosters conversing. So of course, they have to join in. And before you know it, the entire rooster population of the neighbourhood is having a heated discussion over all the important events of the previous 24 hours. And I lie there in bed, wondering why I left my earplugs behind.







I got to visit the CASM office today in San Pedro Sula.













Enjoy the approaching autumn if you can. I'm sweltering here in San Pedro, and can't wait to move to higher elevations!

Vaya pues!

2 comments:

  1. Yay pictures! That tree is impressive!! And I particularly enjoyed your sentence about unexpected happenings and the description of the roosters. Why would a bird want to be up at 2am?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I remember the crowing of roosters as a joyous thing in my childhood. I suspect though that I never ever heard them at the hours you describe. I like your ability to use the word "expect" three times in a short little sentence, and actually know what it means.
    Love you
    Nana and Papa

    ReplyDelete