Thursday, March 10, 2011

Past, Present and Future

Over my past nearly-seven months as an MCC SALTer, I have been thinking a lot about the past and future, while trying to live in the present. This is not necessarily the best thing, with thoughts diverging with daily life. Several things have happened recently to make me think a bit more about the future: I was accepted to the University of Waterloo to study in the Masters of Environmental Studies program; my family visited, and my sister and I continued scheming of sharing an apartment when I get back; and thirdly, MCC purchased my airplane ticket to return to Akron in July!

At the beginning of my time here, it was too easy to think of the past, and now it's too easy to think about the future. Meanwhile, time is passing incredibly rapidly. Let me give you a few "present" updates:

  • I have begun teaching English at the local elementary school. I was rather skeptical about this at first (me... teach?!?!?!?!?!?!?), but I have finished my first classes, and quite enjoyed them. The school director approached my CASM supervisor to ask if I could teach. As my time was/is still remarkably un-busy, I accepted as a way to fill my time. I am teaching students in grades 4, 5, and 6, and as there are 50 of them in total, this is becoming a wonderful way to be more connected in the local community.

  • Last week we had four major rainstorms, and it's been thundering ominously for the past two afternoons. We are supposed to be in the midst of the dry season. There should be NO rain. Last year the bean and corn harvests were damaged by unseasonal rain (right now, bean prices are twice what they should be; the poorer farmers in the mountains don't have the ready money to purchase these staples, as they generally rely on their own harvest. There is worry about significant hunger over the next several months.) Unfortunately, this unseasonable rain is an impact of climate change in this region, and will likely continue to be a problem. CASM is trying to figure out what are the appropriate responses and adaptations.

  • Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. I went to mass, and the church was packed. I, along with most people, do not receive communion, but everybody was welcomed to receive a cross of ashes on the forehead. I continue to enjoy the sense of community at church through liturgy and song and prayer.

  • Last Saturday, as I was cleaning my room, a chicken entered, and decided that her favourite place was under my bed. It took a long time to get her out. Oh the challenges!

1 comment:

  1. Oh your chicken stories! So many of them! Do the kids behave for you? I can picture you teaching actually :)

    ReplyDelete