Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Results!

On Monday, I returned home to La Campa after the MCC Honduras team retreat. All 20 of us gathered in Tela (on the Carribean coast) for a few days of fellowship, sharing, swimming and relaxing together. I had a wonderful time with them, but at the end I had to make my first goodbyes in preparation for leaving Honduras, as I won't be seeing some of them again.

I am back home, and back at the office, but the office is strangely silent. CASM has 7 or 8 offices throughout Honduras, but each office is in charge of its own funding and projects, with guidance from a central office. The main source of funding for CASM La Campa expired at the end of April, and no new source has been found yet (despite having known that it was a 3-year project, scheduled to end April 2011). However, this means that only one of my colleagues is actually receiving an income for the work he is doing. The rest are working part-time as volunteers, including the director of the office.

So two colleagues are considering working every other week, and one is coming in as needed. The caretaker is still coming in every day to keep the chickens fed, the plants watered, and the weeds down. But there have already been a few days when nobody has come to the office, and as I have no keys to enter....

On the plus side, today I finally received the results of my soil samples!!!! Two months after they promised I would receive them, but at least they arrived! So this is a very positive note. Also positive is the interest that another community has shown in soil analysis. I shall just have to pester the lab daily to ensure a prompt analysis of their samples!

No comments:

Post a Comment